top of page

completion date:

June 2017


Best Extension (winner)

2018 Regional LABC Building Excellence Awards (North and East Yorkshire Region)

photography by Jim Varney

The Old Vicarage

Felixkirk, North Yorkshire

The property is believed to date from the 16th century. Evidence from both the 1856 first edition Ordnance Survey map and the 1896 edition, indicate that the property has been repeatedly altered and extended over time. The house is referred to as The Vicarage on both plans, and is known to have served as such for the 12th century St. Felix Church. Analysis of the property and the layout suggests the building was originally a farmhouse with attached barn. The building does not exhibit the elaborate style or character traditionally associated with the design of a vicarage. The form suggests it was originally a double fronted house of standard cross plan, with the staircase through the middle. The original staircase was probably removed at the time the existing stairwell was added. 

The extension to the existing house and proposed alterations are predominantly focused on the rear side of the property, facing the existing private garden to the south. The primary objective of the proposals is to increase the available accommodation, make more practical use of the existing space, and improve the relationship between the existing house and its extensive gardens. The main element of the proposals is a new, two storey extension on the south side of the existing house replacing the existing two storey wing. The new extension is rendered masonry construction under a slate roof.

The second element of the proposals is a new timber clad, single storey extension under a green roof with a zinc canopy. A new linear rooflight in this roof, against the wall of the new two storey element brings light down into the centre of the plan. Sliding glass doors open the extension to the new flagged terrace and garden beyond.

bottom of page